The last weekend in September is hot in Cincinnati, OH! The Take it to the Flo! dance competition is back for a 2 day September showdown you won't forget. Teams from around the country take to the 'Flo' at the Midwest MIND, Body & Beauty Expo for cash and trophies. Pee Wee's, juniors and seniors compete for over $3500 in cash and trophies.
2018 TAKE IT TO THE FLO! dance competition
RULES & REGULATIONS
Mahogany Media LLC is excited to present the 2018 Midwest MIND, Body & Beauty Expo Take it to the Flo! dance competition. This two day September showdown will be held on September 29 - 30, 2018 at the Woodlawn Center located at 10050 Woodlawn Blvd Cincinnati, OH 45215. Doors open at 11am both days and the competition begins at 1pm both days. Make sure your supporters arrive early (they can enjoy the expo while they wait) since tickets will not be oversold at the door.
DIVISIONS & CATEGORIES
The age division for all routines is determined by the grade of the performer as of Jan 1, 2017.
Pee Wee’s: grade K - 3 ($25 fee) Junior: grade 4 - 8 ($35 fee) Senior: grade 9 - 12 ($45 fee)
|Hip Hop||6:00 minutes|
|Hip Hop routines should incorporate street style movement with emphasis on execution, creativity, and body isolations while maintaining uniformity, control, and rhythm. The routine judged to be the best wins a $500 cash prize and trophy.|
|Majorette||6:00 minutes||Majorette is a mix of different styles such as jazz, lyrical, hip-hop, modern, gymnastics and cheerleading. Should be high-energy, synchronized and rhythmic. High score wins $500 cash prize and trophy.|
1:00 minute per pass,
6:00 minutes per round
|Each battle will have 2 rounds – medium and fast tempo at 2 passes each round. Final battle 1 song, step up twice. High score wins $500 cash prize and trophy.|
The entry fee is $25 for pee wee, $35 for junior and $45 for seniors as defined above. All fees must be paid by studio check, credit cards, or cashiers checks. All payments within 3 weeks of the event must be paid by credit card or cashiers check only. All fees are non-refundable. There is a $50.00 fee for returned checks. Absolutely no entries accepted at the check-in desk. Once registered, teams will be emailed an invoice.
All music must be emailed to email@example.com at least one week prior to competition in MP3 format. In addition, all teams will be required to record their own music on a USB or individual CD and submit it at check-in. All music must be recorded at the proper speed. Only one routine per CD please. It is advisable to have a back up CD in your possession in case of emergency. Music may NOT be submitted on a smartphone. On the USB, please name each song and/or label your CD with the following information:
1. Title of Number
2. Studio Name, division and category
Medium and fast stand battle music will be forwarded to registered teams no later than September 15, 2018.
JUDGES & AWARDS
Impartial, fair judging is an important part of the success of Take it to the Flo!. Participants agree that the time, manner, and method of judging the competition shall be solely within the discretion of Mahogany Media LLC and that all results of a competition are final. Judges break all ties. No one may approach a judge, doing so risks disqualification of the team.
Over $3500 will be up for grabs. Winner of the most categories will also receive a professional Mahogany Media LLC video of their performance. A cash award will be given for 1st place in each category and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will also receive a trophy. Visit www.facebook.com/mahoganymediallc/ to view other videos Mahogany Media LLC has created.
- Teams must arrive by 10:30am for check-in at 10050 Woodlawn Blvd Cincinnati, OH 45215 on September 29th and/or September 30th, 2018. Upon arrival of the team AND after (for local teams) payment of any outstanding advance tickets, a prep room assignment, if available, will be given to the head coach..
- There are limited rooms available for teams to prep. Prep space is not guaranteed so it is highly recommended that your team arrive ready to perform. Prep space will be assigned in order of check-in. If your team wants to secure a prep space you can do so prior to September 28th for $25 at mmbbexpo.eventbrite.com. Securing a prep space guarantees you will receive a space regardless of check-in order.
- Teams will have 10 minutes to mark the floor. You will be given your assigned floor time no later than September 28, 2018. If your team is late for/misses its assigned floor time there is no guarantee we will be able to accommodate your team prior to show time.
PERFORMANCE & PROPS
- Teams must have at least 10 members. There is no maximum limit. For the Open category there is no minimum team number
- Timing will begin with the first choreographed movement or note of the music. Timing will end with the last Choreographed movement or note of the music, whichever comes last.
- All routines, music, choreography, and costumes must be suitable for family viewing and listening. Failure to comply with this rule may result in point deductions or entry disqualification. We take this very seriously.
- General props are permitted. No dangerous props (swords, fire, etc.). All props must be Marley safe. Prop height should not exceed 10 feet. Prop set-up time should take less than 30 seconds. If you have a prop that takes longer than 30 seconds to set, please make a note of it on your entry form. If prop set-up time will cause you to exceed the total time allowed for that entry, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will try to make special arrangements for props that take longer than 30 seconds to set up if notified in writing ahead of time. Props should not contain harmful or hazardous materials, or be a threat of any kind to others. (i.e live animals, smoke machines, etc)
- Coaching from the sideline is absolutely prohibited.
Penalties & Deductions
- -10 (per judge): Late arrival to performance line/up
- -10 (per judge): Overly obscene and vulgar dance movements and gestures. Creative choreography is valued at this competition!
- -10 (per judge): Violation of time limit, performance guidelines and/ or misuse of props
- -15 (per judge): Coach involvement after the start of the routine
Participation in any Mahogany Media LLC competition indicates permission to use any photographs or video taken during the Midwest MIND, Body & Beauty Expo in promotional vehicles including, but not limited to, newspapers, brochures, ads, television, videos, newsletters, and the Internet.
- Teams must be supervised at all times by an adult.
- It is agreed upon entering any Mahogany Media LLC competition that participants, including students, parents, teachers, and other spectators, will not hold Mahogany Media LLC or its parent company, directors, employees, volunteers, or host facilities liable for injuries sustained, illnesses contracted by them, or loss of property while in attendance and/or participating in any activity of an Mahogany Media LLC event.
- Mahogany Media LLC does not assume responsibility for forgotten CDs, photographs, awards, or other items.
- Mahogany Media LLC competitions have a tendency to run on time. Mahogany Media LLC will not hold up a competition due to a dancer/team not being present/ready to perform. We recommend arriving two hours prior to performance time to avoid missing a routine.
- Mahogany Media LLC reserves the right to deduct points from or disqualify any entry or participant that does not adhere to the rules and regulations.
- Mahogany Media LLC reserves the rights to change, delete, or add to any rules, regulations, or policies at any time as deemed necessary.
- Rules will be interpreted in the spirit of fairness to all participants.
That's it! You are now ready for the final step. For Cincinnati area teams, pick up your dance competition tickets to sell from Kristin Dixon at 513-375-7622. Tickets may also be purchased at www.mmbbexpo.eventbrite.com.
See you at the Expo!